Enhancing Brain PerformancePosted September 21, 2017 by Moragh Lippert
Recently, I had the pleasure of presening my “Enhancing Brain Performance” seminar at Body of Health as part of their Epert Seminar Series.
I love this presentation because it is so helpful to almost everyone.
I thought I’d capture a few of the highligts on this post.
Signs of Poor Brain Performance/Function:
- Brain fog
- Poor memory
- Hard to concentrate
- Can’t find words
- Tired eyes
- Poor overall performance
- Multiple brain injuries
- Hormonal imbalance
- Chronic illness
- What do you experience?
What could be the problem with poor cognitive function?
- Poor mitochondrial function
- Poor nutrition – diet
- Low H20
- Multiple brain injuries
- Leaky Gut Syndrome
- Bacterial infection
- Insulin insensitivity
- Poor sleep
- Neuro inflammation
- Genetics(less than you think)
There is a direct relationship between the brain and the gut via pathways such as the vagus nerve. If there is Leaky Gut or Permeable Gut syndrome going on there will usually be Leaky Brain. This means the blood/brain barrier that stops toxins, bacteria, etc. will be compromised resulting in poor gut and brain function/health.
“The Gut is the soil where the brain grows.”~ Mary Shetreat-Klein, MD Integrative Pediatric Neurologist & Author of The Dirt Cure
In Functional Medicine we work to help the client find the root cause of the illness. In many cases it is an unhealthy digestive tract.
What are some of the things we can do to resolve Leaky Gut/Leaky Brain:
- Remove triggers: food & drink & toxins (incl. GMO & pesticides)
- Eat whole food (lots of plants, grass fed/wild animal protein, lots of healthy fats)
- Support beneficial bacteria (prebiotics & probiotics)
- Remove unhealthy bacteria: overgrowth & yeast (candidiasis) & harmful parasites
- Remove toxins (with a health practitioner advised) black mold mycotoxins, heavy metals, etc.
- Balance pH (potential hydrogen) eat more alkaline
- Repair the intestinal lining (l-glutamine, collagen, bone broth)
- Consider a LCHF (low carb, moderate protein, high fat) or Therapeutic Nutritional Ketogenic Lifestyle – the brain LOVES healthy fats
- Lower blood glucose and regain insulin sensitivity
- Meditate or mindfulness practices
- Deep breathing and relaxation
- Exercise ehances feelings of wellbeing and produces BDNF (Brain-derived neurotrophic factor) that reduces neuro inflammation
- Think healthy and loving thoughts
If I can help you with any of this book an appointment online at www.guidedholistics.ca
Wishing you a happy, healthy and functional brain!Brain Gut Connecton, General, Longevity, Mental Health, Resources, Toxins, Women's Health